Saturday, September 12, 2009

Literate Lives: Chapter 1

I had not really thought about how technology has changed how students learn to read and write. I did not consider that my sisters introduction to literacy was that much different then mine thanks to cell phones, the internet, and pop culture. Today, students learn how to type and write mainly using instant messenger and text messages. I was watching my sister write a paper one night and she never capitalized her “I’s”, did not bother with spelling (spell check will fix that later) and at one point used a z in the place of an s – all thanks to instant messenger and text messages. The texts that I get from her are hard to read because of all the abbreviations and acronyms that she uses. Books that I used to read when I was younger, like my favorite Ella Enchanted, are now not being read but rather being watched on TV - which they ruined the book and did not follow the original story line in Ella Enchanted at all might I add. I never realized just how much times have changed.

As far as the industrial model goes, it seems to be one of the most ineffective models that is in place and sadly, the majority of the school systems are modeled that way. The No Child Left Behind program might just work, it were not part of the industrial model. If we could find a way to incorporate the No Child Left Behind Program in with the inquiry model, I feel that students and teachers would be much more satisfied with their learning/teaching experiences. Each child that comes in, comes in with a different background, they come from different home situations, different economic statuses, and different ethnic backgrounds. These differences shape their learning experience and if we do not cater to their different learning techniques and abilities, the lessons are ineffective and they fall behind. If the program really wishes to leave no child behind, we need to focus on ways to incorporate a child’s background and experiences into the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way when I read about how the differences in technology affect the way students learn. When students have text messaging, interactive web sites, amazing video game graphics, and so much more, it makes total sense that a child is not going to be as engaged when using a pencil and paper. We now have the added challenge of making students' experiences at school match those technology-filled experiences they have at home. I think the interactive SMARTBoard is a great way to engage the kids!

    I also agree with what you said about No Child Left Behind. It's based off the industrial model and only calls for standardized testing, thereby giving a very one-dimensional view of students' abilities. I think it definitely puts ELLs at a huge disadvantage, and inappropriately measures students' knowledge. I don't feel as if students can be assessed using one multiple choice exam - more items based on performance and observation should be used to give a more well-rounded view of each child as a learner.

    P.S. Ella Enchanted is my all-time favorite too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great example with your sister and how students' introduction to literacy has changed over the last few years! How can we not take our students' experiences and backgrounds with literacy into the way we present and teach literacy in the classroom? I definitely agree that the NCLB is in place for good reason (desiring progress) but I agree that the industrial model may not be the most effective way of meeting those goals. Somehow we need to let students take charge of their learning, let them make choices, and not evaluate their success by one test. It is encouraging to hear so much talk and articles explain and recognize the need for some change, now we must begin to find some practical ways to implement that change.

    ReplyDelete