Sunday, October 11, 2009

UDL in the Classroom

I think that it’s wonderful that people are starting to accept that not everyone learns the same way. What works for one student will not necessarily work for another student, especially those that are English language learners and those with learning disabilities. Through universal design, students that have trouble learning can learn the same material as those that do not struggle at the same time. For example, the text books that we are creating have interactive components that both English language learners and deaf students can benefit from and learn from – while the other students learn the material as well. They may learn it in a different way and at a different rate, but the material is being presented to all students at the same time and all students have the chance to process the material at the same time.

Unfortunately in my class placement, there are no English language learners that I can observe, but there is a student with a learning disability. The student struggles with their speech and as a result, also struggles with their reading comprehension. Their comprehension when a text is read out loud to them is much higher then when they read it themselves since they struggle with reading. I’m really excited to present the books that we are making for our science units because I really think that they will benefit from the interactive component with the characters that read out loud. Since there are no English language learners in the classroom and only one with a learning disability that is pulled out for about an hour each day during most of the reading and writing workshop time – my teacher does not have to modify any of the lessons really and there are also not a lot of different learning strategies used in the classroom. I really wish that I could see more of this universal design for learning in the classroom because I think its amazing and that a lot of students will benefit greatly from it!!

3 comments:

  1. I also think it is fantastic that teachers are adapting how they teach because in classrooms there are a variety of learners. I had not thought about how the books we are creating will be beneficial for all learners. The interactive component is really wonderful for our learners needing assistnace and adds an extra dimension for students who learn without differentiation.

    Through my firled placement this year, I have really begun to see that not all students learn in teh same way. In my junior year field placements I was either teaching a small group in which I could give individual attention or I was conducting a read aloud to the whole group. I was not differentiating my instruction for my students. I was teaching the way I would want to be taught, or how I had been taught in school. If I am going to be an effective teacher I will need to observe my students individually through kidwatching and conferences to determine how they learn best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though you aren't able to see elements of UDL in your placement this year because of the students in your class, not having it in your placement should motivate you to use aspects of UDL in your own classroom next year. You are hopefully observing ways that UDL could be beneficial in your classroom for a variety of learners and not just learners that have a identified disability. In all classrooms there are students that are slow and behind their peers, but don't necessarily have an identified disability. These types of learners could benefit from UDL so hopefully you are seeing the gaps in the classroom that elements of UDL could fill. Because we are learning about it right now, hopefully we can all see it in our placement or see where it would be helpful and learn from this and then use UDL in our own classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading many people's reflections on UDL including yours, it is clear that all of us see the validity and benefits of applying UDL in the classroom. We all are taught that every child learns differently, but sometimes we are not taught the practical ways of how we can reach different students in our classroom, especially those with learning disabilities or language barriers. I think the book builder that we were introduced to last week is a great tool that I see myself using in my own classroom.
    While you may not have many students in your classroom with learning disabilities or ELL students, focusing on one particular student and observing how the use of UDL affects their learning will be a great experience for you! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete