Sunday, March 14, 2010

March Reading

While reading this article, it got me thinking about some of the students in my class. I tried to think of a student in my current class that would remind me – even just in the slightest – of anyone in my class and surprisingly… it didn’t. The students in my class do not have many behavioral or learning difficulties. There are four that I can think of out of my class of 27 that have severe learning disabilities that would require outside help or a lot of teacher attention. Only one of those has severe behavioral issues, the others truly try in class and their behavior is easily corrected with a teacher giving instructions to them.

I almost feel at a disadvantage that my class is so “good” and well behaved. Anna, I know your class is a bit… well… troubled… and I think I might go crazy with that class but at the same time, you have these amazing experiences where you get to see these behavior problems that you’re going to see later on in your teaching career and you have this experienced teacher that you get to observe handle these situations in the classroom. I think you’re going to be really prepared in the future for these students that you’re going to see. In my future, every student that does not want to read or complete their work, asking them to sit down and get focused is NOT always going to work.

This reading has a lot of great strategies and examples for teachers to read about. And reading about them is great, but I think I could get more out of them by having examples of them in my classroom and being able to apply these strategies from the readings in the classroom. However, I also don’t know how I would handle your class Anna where you see these students… and can apply these strategies… ugh.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! While it has been difficult at times to have to deal with so many behavior issues, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. Seeing first hand and having to correct and deal with disruptive behaviors is in a sense a blessing, because I am getting the practice and developing an understanding of what discipline and structure can look like in a more disruptive class.
    I can't wait to switch classes with you this week to experience a new set of students! I think we are both going to learn a lot during this time!

    ReplyDelete