Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Flint Chapter 11

Developing an inquiry based lesson was going to be a struggle for me when developing our literacy units. I completely understood how to build a science and a math inquiry based unit but how in the world was I going to do that in language arts? When I was in school, it was simple you do these readings from these books and answer the questions from the book and now we’re going to go over them, now read for 30 minutes on your own at home, and maybe we’ll read a book as a class right after recess for a bit before we start our lesson and then writing was just writing various stories. In my classroom now, the students do guided reading and independent reading and then they write on their own with writing conferences thrown in there. There were no integrations of technology when I was in school and there are not really in the classroom I’m in right now when it comes to literacy. There are various ways for students to illustrate their work, explore different aspects of work, and present work that should be used.

I know I’ve already talked about these but books on tape are AMAZING for students that are struggling readers and even those leap frog games. I’m in upper grades so I’m really hoping that is why I do not see these technologies being used and that they are actually being used in the rest of the school because I think they are just great for students! Younger students would LOVE playing with these things and they would be learning at the same time. I used to see the commercials saying that students would actually be learning while playing the game and I would laugh because it’s a game. Games are something you have fun doing like playing Mario brothers or something like that, there’s no learning going on right? Wrong, they’re great and kids love them and will love them!! Ok now I’m finished selling products…

No comments:

Post a Comment